Learn About Basin Wealth
Visit Our Client Center
Get In Contact With Us
Welcome to Basin Wealth Management
I’m Derek Robinett, and I created Basin Wealth Management to help people make smarter financial decisions to enrich their lives in accordance with their personal values. This is known as values-based financial planning. I also provide integrated financial planning and portfolio management to my clients in the Permian Basin and across Texas.
Most people believe that financial planning is about taking a pile of money and making it bigger. However, I believe that money cannot be separated from the life that it serves. Your money is only important if it helps you do the things that you want to do with your life. Once you have clarity about what is important to you, it becomes much easier to make financial choices that support those values. Done correctly, your financial planning should enhance your quality of life and transform your money into a life well-lived. This is the essence of values-based financial planning.
Rather than a hyper-focus on only one aspect of a client’s financial situation (such as investments or taxes), I focus on integrated decision-making, and coordination of other professionals. But above all, I strive to provide a “safe place” for families to come discuss their financial concerns to a professional without being sold a product.
Using a combination of values-based financial planning and technical proficiency developed over many years as a CPA, I developed the RETIRE System of comprehensive wealth management. RETIRE stands for:
Risk management | Expense planning | Tax planning and structuring | Investment management | Retirement planning | Estate planning
When added together, these six issues provide a framework for planning your financial affairs, so that you can be certain that nothing gets overlooked, and that your financial plan meets your needs now and for many years to come.
For a more detailed explanation of comprehensive wealth management and how it applies to you, please visit our Learn More page.
Who Are My Clients?
I believe that financial planning is a lifelong process. With that belief, my goal is to work with each individual client to build a long-term relationship that clarifies your goals and implements ways to achieve those goals, even if those goals change over time.
Basin Wealth Management may be right for you if:
- You want a financial plan that includes all the elements from the RETIRE System:
- Risk Management
- Expense planning
- Tax strategy and structuring
- Investment Management
- Retirement and Financial Independence
- Estate Planning
- You want an advisor who is well-educated and technically proficient in many different disciplines.
- You would like to have your portfolio professionally managed by a trained CFA Charterholder.
- You want a long-term partnership with a financial planner.
- You are willing to put in the time and effort to manage your financial affairs.
- You are comfortable using technology as a method of communication.
- You prefer a professional, yet informal and relaxed setting.
Because of my extensive experience as a Certified Public Accountant in a tax practice, I bring heavy tax planning to the process. As a result, I work best with business owners, mineral rights owners, entrepreneurs, and executives, and others who realize that time is their most precious resource. My clients prefer to delegate work to me, so that they can spend their time where it is most important.
However, I also work extensively with young professionals, retirees and pre-retirees, and mass affluent families. Your job title is less important than our ability to find common ground to establish a relationship that works for you.
About Derek Robinett
Investment Advisor Representative
I grew up in DeLeon, Texas, where I graduated high school and then attended Howard Payne University in Brownwood. The following year, I decided to enlist in the US Marine Corps, where I served for five years as a Spanish Cryptologic Linguist at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio.
After leaving the Marine Corps in 2005, I began my career as a financial advisor at Ameriprise Financial. For the next few years, I worked in various roles in the financial services career. However, realizing that I had reached a glass ceiling, I went back to school to get my MBA in 2008. Since then, I have used my wide diversity of experience to find new, improved ways of serving my clients’ financial needs.
I enjoy being a personal financial planner because it allows me to make a meaningful impact on my clients’ lives. Locally, it also allows me to make a difference through my volunteer service to the financial service industry and for charitable and Christian efforts throughout the Permian Basin and beyond.
Today, I live in Midland with my wife, Heather, who is a fourth-grade teacher at Midland ISD. We have two children, Emily and Ryan. Together, we enjoy music, theater, musical theater, traveling, and cooking on the patio.
View My Credentials
- Seven years as a CPA in a tax practice
- Eight years as an investment advisory representative
- Two years as an accountant in the oil & gas industry
- One year as a compliance officer with the Texas Comptroller
- Bachelor of Science degree in Spanish, Wayland Baptist University (2005)
- Master of Business Administration, concentration in Quantitative Finance, University of Texas at San Antonio (2009)
- Certified Public Accountant (2011)
- Chartered Financial Analyst (2013)
- Personal Financial Specialist (2017)
- FINRA Series 7
- FINRA Series 63
- Texas Life & Health Insurance agent
- Texas Property & Casualty Insurance agent
As a community member:
- Assistant Treasurer, Fannin Terrace Baptist Church
- Treasurer, Permian Basin CPA Chapter
- Vice-President, Midland-Odessa Business Estate Council